Historic Trails of Western North Carolina

Victoria: The Forgotten Town and Neighborhood

An undated postcard showing the Victoria Inn and rolling pastoral landscape in the Town of Victoria

Overview

Victoria Walking Tour

1887 Asheville Population: 7,258

In the 1880s Asheville transformed dramatically into a bustling hub and tourist town, accessible by train for the first time. During this decade, large residences and neighborhoods developed quickly on the outskirts of the city. During the same period, the wealthy George Vanderbilt—heir to a massive railroad fortune—began touring and attempting to buy property and homes in the area. Feeling growing real-estate pressure from these outside interests, one community—including the Smith-McDowell or "Buck" House as well as the Fernihurst mansion—decided to incorporate into a town. The Town of Victoria, named for Queen Victoria, was located just southwest of Asheville, mostly on land formerly owned by James Smith. Contained by its larger growing neighbor, the French Broad and Swannanoa rivers, and the Southern Railway line, Victoria existed from 1887-1905 when it was absorbed into Asheville. Its story is one of continuous change, but also familiar uses, names, and even a few buildings.

Today, you can see the remnants of Victoria on this 2.5-mile self-guided tour. This loop is accessible by walking or driving, though not all details are visible from the road. Note: This tour takes you through several sites and traces of a historic neighborhood which is now mostly encompassed by the AB-Tech campus. Should you drive, you must pick up a temporary parking pass at the Smith-McDowell House or print one from our website link. Please respect private property and parking restrictions and use caution crossing roadways and streets.

Right Image: The original charter for the Town of Victoria before it was later amended in 1901. (Laws and Resolutions of the State of North Carolina, Passed by the General Assembly at its Session [1887], Josephus Daniels: Raleigh, NC, 1887).


1 Smith-McDowell House Museum

Victoria Walking Tour

GPS Heading: 283 Victoria Road, Asheville

Parking: Turn onto the gravel drive off Victoria Road. There is parking in the gravel lot beside the house. The grounds are open 24/7. Please check  wnchistory.org  for operating hours of our house museum.

Summary: James McConnell Smith originally had this house constructed, most likely by enslaved labor, c.1840. The original Federal-style brick home looked quite different, however, during its period of existence in the Town of Victoria. The house was owned from 1881-1898 by Alexander and then Robert Garrett, then finally by Dr. Charles Van Bergan until 1908. The Smith-McDowell House underwent a landscape transformation under Van Bergan's ownership with the planning of the Olmsted Brothers. He also constructed the solarium and added creeping wisteria vines to the houses's exterior as you can see in this early 1900s photograph. This house sat roughly in the middle of Victoria.

Image: ("Smith-McDowell House," c1900, Photograph, Smith-McDowell House Photographic Archives).


2 Fernihurst

Victoria Walking Tour

GPS Heading: 70, Fernihurst Dr, Asheville

Parking: Walk, or park in the A2-4 lots below Fernihurst. See  Map .

Summary: The renovated mansion you see before you is named Fernihurst after the ancestral Scottish castle of its builders John Kerr Connally and Alice Coleman Thomas Connally. It sits on a scenic viewshed formerly known as Vernon Hill with views of Mt. Mitchell, Mt. Pisgah, and the French Broad and Swannanoa rivers below. High ground near the river proved desirable to several early owners, including James and Polly Smith—original owners of the Smith-McDowell House—who were buried there on the hilltop. Vernon Hill transferred to the McDowell family after the death of the Smiths and they soon sold this 30-acre parcel of their property to John Connally in 1875.

Above Image: A view from the top of Vernon Hill facing west with the French Broad River below c.1890. (Taylor&Jones, photographers, "River View From Conley's," c1890, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Connally was a former colonel in the Confederate army's NC 55th Regiment and he lost most of an arm during the Battle of Gettysburg. Afterward, he served as a lawyer in Texas and a state legislator in Virginia, escaping death when part of the Capitol Building collapsed on him. He became fervently religious and was shortly ordained as a reverend. His religiosity did not deter him, however, from constructing his large home directly on the Smith graveyard. Mary Smith McDowell was forced to re-inter her parents at the nearby Newton Academy cemetery. Local lore maintains that unknown others buried here were not removed as their bones were rediscovered during a renovation of the house in the 1930s.

Above Image: Fernihurst in its original state prior to numerous room additions, c.1875. (Taylor&Jones Photographers, "Col. Conley's Residence," c1875, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

The Connallys constructed their 12-room colonial style home from bricks made of local clay. The home soon grew to include roughly 50 rooms—including 35 bedrooms—and the two buildings that remain out back. Mr. Connally, who owned 50,000 acres near Mt. Pisgah, had imported English yew and elm trees planted near the home. The family lived there with their four daughters and held lavish parties, including some with George Vanderbilt as a guest. The devout Mr. Connally reportedly stayed in one of the back buildings during parties to avoid alcohol.

It was this connection with Vanderbilt and Fernihurst that galvanized area residents to form their own town. In the 1880s, Vanderbilt tried but could not convince the Connallys to sell Fernihurst, so he began purchasing nearby land quickly afterward. Soon Victoria's largest home was dwarfed by the nearby Biltmore Estate, though Connally may have secured the better view. For a time, this mansion set the standard for opulence in the Town of Victoria.

The Connally family owned to mansion until 1929, after which it sat vacant for nearly four years. Fernihurst was renovated by new owners in the 1930s and pared down to its original 12 rooms. At that point it became briefly known as "Viewmont." After several different owners in the mid-1900s, Fernihurst was sold to AB Tech. In 2005 it was remodeled into the form you see today.

Above Image: Fernihurst c.1934 after its renovation and re-sizing but before its renaming. ("Fernihurst (Col. Connally's Home) on Victoria Rd," c1934, Photographic Negative, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Right Image: Fernihurst during its 1933-1934 renovation with several additional rooms and wings. Note the fast-growing oak directly in front of the house. ("Fernihurst during extensive remodeling in the 1930's," Plateau Studios, Photograph, n.d., NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

The Other House Vanderbilt Could Not Buy

The ornate and sprawling Fernihurst was not the only home that thwarted George Vanderbilt's purchasing efforts. Southeast of Victoria, and to the north of the rising Biltmore Estate, one property owner held out for decades against Vanderbilt's offers on his land, becoming somewhat famous in the process. Charles Collins, an African American man, purchased seven acres south of the Swannanoa River and near Victoria between 1880 and 1885 for $200. He erected a wooden cabin and lived there with his wife Lousia and their children for at least a decade. Their family deeded an acre of land for the construction of Shiloh AME church in 1888 and Collins became a trustee.

This parcel proved very desirable to Vanderbilt, as he hoped to route a road from Biltmore Village to his estate through its boundaries. Just a year later, in 1889, Charles McNamee—on behalf of Vanderbilt—purchased the church and its land. The building and cemetery were removed to the  "new Shiloh" community , yet Collins refused to sell his own property. At one point Collins demanded $10,000 and Vanderbilt met him with a counteroffer of $8,500. The two remained at an impasse for several years, though it is unclear if their relationship was adversarial. Two of Collins' daughters apparently worked as servants in the Biltmore Estate during this time and Vanderbilt routed his road around Collins' property.

Above Image: The Biltmore Estate. ("Biltmore House and Lake," Asheville Postcard Co., c1915, Postcard, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

During his holdout, speculation and rumors flew about the reasons and the price negotiations of the Collins' reluctance. Tourists to the area frequently bought souvenirs and postcards of the Collins family home, though they likely never reaped much reward from their notoriety. Finally, after moving to Pittsburgh, Collins sold his family's 5 and 7/8 acres to Vanderbilt in 1907 for $2,000.  See the deed here .

Above Image: Undated napkin rings made of rhododendron and sold by locals. These were purchased by a woman from Nebraska. Note the bottom left ring is inscribed "The House Vanderbilt cannot buy." (c1890-1905, Napkin Holders, Smith-McDowell House Archives)

Right Image: A period postcard-type image of the Collins home that circulated in national newspapers. (Philadelphia Enquirer, May 26, 1895).


3 Sunnicrest

Victoria Walking Tour

GPS Address: 45 Persistence Dr, Asheville

Parking: Walk, or park in lots A2-4. See  Map .

Summary: After Vanderbilt's failure to purchase Fernihurst and the subsequent completion of his own massive Biltmore Estate in 1895, he soon set about creating villa houses for guests to stay in for prolonged periods. He acquired land parcels in Victoria through Charles McNamee, a Victoria resident and cousin of Vanderbilt who became the town's mayor in 1896. Vanderbilt contracted the architectural skills of Richard S. Smith, a man who designed numerous contemporary Asheville landmarks including the Young Men's Institute (YMI), the home of Senator Jeter C. Pritchard, a later redesign of the Oakland Heights Hotel/Victoria Inn, and the Vance Monument. This partnership produced five rental cottages in Victoria before 1900, all with views of the Biltmore Estate.

Above Image: This undated map shows the five Vanderbilt cottages, with Fernihurst just outside the map's top boundary. ("Biltmore Estate: Map Showing Houses on Vernon Hill." n.d., Map, Richard Hansley Photographic Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

These five cottages, some of which were based on the Tudor-Revival style of architecture, hosted to numerous Vanderbilt friends and acquaintances. Friends paid comparatively paltry sums of around $350 per month to rent these rather opulent cottages. In 1911, however, Vanderbilt began selling the cottages and several families subsequently owned them as private homes. Most were demolished before the 1960s except for Sunnicrest, the building you see before you. A private family resided here until 1990, when it was purchased and restored by AB Tech, now serving as the Human Resources building.

Above Image: Hillcote, one of the Vanderbilt cottages, sat on the downhill side of a sharp bend in the road on what is now an AB Tech parking lot. The house above and to the left is most likely "Washington Cottage." (n.d., Photograph, Richard Hansley Photographic Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Right Image: An early image of the Sunnicrest cottage on Vernon Hill. ("Sunnicrest," n.d., Photograph, Richard Hansley Photograph Collection, Pack Memorial Library).


4 Buncombe Turnpike Trace

Victoria Walking Tour

GPS Heading: 35°34'06.5"N 82°33'12.5"W

Parking: Walk, or park in the small lot (B17) where the ATM is located. Take the wooden walkway across to the clearing. See  Map . (Note: This is not an exact trace of the original route, but provides a nearby reference)

Summary: Originally a "Greeneville to Greenville" route where hogs and sheep were driven to market from Tennessee to South Carolina, this pivotal route served later more elegant purposes as Victoria's main thoroughfare. Between 1824 and 1828 the route was incorporated into the Buncombe Turnpike, a 75-mile improved road from Hot Springs, on the Tennessee border, to the Saluda Gap bordering South Carolina. The route ran through Asheville along much of what is now Biltmore Avenue and Victoria Road. The turnpike was macadamized, or paved with compacted gravel and finer grit on top. Eventually wear from increased usage forced authorities to plank portions of the route. It was apparently known as Garret Road before Victoria was chartered, presumably after the prominent residents, the Garretts.

Above Image: The turnpike and its livestock-droving history still apparently concerned Victoria residents in 1887. They gave themselves the power in their charter "to prohibit the running at large of horses, cattle, hogs, sheep" and a host of other animals. (North Carolina General Assembly, Laws and Resolutions of the State of North Carolina, Passed by the General Assembly at its Session [1887], Josephus Daniels: Raleigh, NC, 1887).

Modern Victoria Road largely follows the path of the drover's road and the subsequent Buncombe Turnpike. During Victoria's heyday, the former turnpike route was no longer used for livestock, but instead marked the central avenue and primary entrance to most homes and establishments in the community. The road's layout was modified from its original route, however. A few hundred yards below the Smith-McDowell House, the original turnpike road continued straight and ran downhill to a ford crossing the Swannanoa River. Previous landowner Col. John Patton had constructed a bridge here across the Swannanoa which was destroyed at some point before the Civil War supposedly. At an unidentified date, modern Victoria Road was rerouted into its serpentine form to better follow natural contours. The rough location of the original route would have ran nearby where you stand.

Above Image: A 1917 map shows the former route of the old Turnpike (in red) that no longer exists but was still a road at that time. (" Asheville ,  N.C. ,  Nov .  191 7," Sanborn Map Company, November, 1917, Map, North Carolina Maps Digital Collection, UNC Chapel Hill,  https://docsouth.unc.edu/cdlamaps/browse/map/NC:BUNCOMBE:ASHEVILLE::SANBORN:1917 ).

Right Image: Photograph of Edward Miles at the entrance to the Smith-McDowell House beside Victoria Road. The large building in the background to the north is Deplanck Hall, part of the St. Genevieve of the Pines School. The large tower of the Oakland Heights/Victoria Inn is barely visible behind the trees to the right. Note the horse-driven cart. (1913, Photograph, Smith-McDowell House Photographic Archives).


5 Oakland Heights Hotel

Victoria Walking Tour

GPS Heading: 10 Genevieve Circle, Asheville

Parking: Walk, or park near the Ivy Building (22). Please be mindful of parking restrictions and designated spaces. See  Map .

Summary: On the lot surrounding you, a large and impressive building once stood. Its various usages and changes exemplify the story of Victoria and the growth of Asheville. The historic Ivy building to your left is not part of the original hotel, but was constructed in 1936 as an auditorium for the Catholic St. Genevieve's College.

1889: Oakland Heights Hotel

In 1889, just two years after the Town of Victoria was incorporated, the gigantic Oakland Heights Hotel was completed for guests of the town's residents. Standing near the corner of Oakland and Victoria Road, the massive structure had 80 rooms, and a distinctive tower concealing a water tank of 30,000 gallons. As a hotel, it was owned and operated by Mayor Alexander Garrett and then his son Robert. Despite the hotel's impressive architecture and location, it apparently failed to turn enough profit for the Garretts. They sold their hotel at some point in 1890 to the Board of Home Missions of the Presbyterian Church for $75,000.

1890-1899: Sanatorium

The next few years saw a frenzy of action around the former hotel. The Presbyterian church sold the large building to a private group—the Oakland Heights Sanatorium Company—for a roughly 25 percent profit within a year. The hotel became a sanatorium for Asheville's large population of Tuberculosis and respiratory disease patients. By the end of 1891, the owners declared "consumptives will not be received," meaning the resort no longer catered to Tuberculosis patients. In 1896 a legal dispute over technicalities in the sanatorium's mortgage caused a federal lawsuit which resulted in the property selling to the city of Asheville, and then Dr. S.W. Battle in 1897. Battle briefly improved and operated the Asheville Sanitarium, but sold the grounds two years later to another hotel manager.

Above Image: The western North Carolina mountains had long served as a retreat for wealthy lowlanders suffering from coastal heat and respiratory ailments. Patients wealthy enough to afford care at the Oakland heights Sanatorium could expect receive a pampered and catered stay. (Asheville Citizen-Times, February 18, 1891).

Above Image: During the busy spring and summer of 1891, arrivals from numerous East Coast and Midwest cities flocked to the Oakland Heights Sanatorium. (Asheville Citizen-Times, March 6, 1891)

1899-1910: A Hotel Again

After a decade housing recuperating tuberculosis patients, the building once again opened in 1899 as the Oakland Heights Hotel. By 1905, the hotel was redesignated the Victoria Inn, and it operated until a small fire damaged its north wing in 1910. In that same year, the proprietor and other adjoining land owners sold the property to the Ladies of Christian Education group. Finally, from 1910-1961, this building operated as St Genevieve's boarding school for women. These three types of institutions—schools, hospitals, and lodging spaces—have been familiar occupants of Victoria from its years as a town until the present day.

Above Image: Perhaps eager to shed its medical reputation, the hotel's recurring advertisements in 1899 clarified that no sick guests would be received. (Asheville Citizen-Times, September 11, 1899).

Above Image: The Citizen-Times optimistically declared the inn open for good just a few months before a fire damaged a portion and the Ladies of Christian Education completed their purchase. (Asheville Citizen-Times, June 5, 1910).

Right Image: An image c.1889 of the hotel including the distinctive tower, said to be visible from most of Asheville. ("Oakland Heights Hotel," W.H.Parish Publishing Co., c1889, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).


6 Asheville Normal School

Victoria Walking Tour

GPS Heading:  35°34.669′N, 82°33.061′W  (Across from the intersection of Livingston Street and Victoria Road, on the right-hand side)

Parking: Walk, or park in a public space at 82 Victoria Rd Parking at Mission Hospital

Summary: This area has long been host to educational institutions, including during its time as the Town of Victoria. The Home Industrial School and Asheville Normal School and Collegiate Institute were two such institutions that existed here between 1887 and 1905. Both arose from a desire of wealthy residents and philanthropists of Asheville to teach literacy and skills to students from the surrounding rural areas. The first, the Home Industrial School for women, was established by the Presbyterian Home Mission Board in 1887. This school was filled from its inception, hosting 70 boarding and 20 day students within a few weeks of its opening. It initially taught grades 1-6 but hosted students ranging from 5-20 years of age. Teachers led classes in grammar, music, sewing, cookery teaching, drawing, and domestic science. The school eventually disbanded in 1931 as more schools were built in rural areas.

Above Image: This 1907 map shows the layout of the Home Industrial and Normal schools. (Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina, Sanborn Map Company, June, 1907, Map,  https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3904am.g3904am_g063721907/?sp=17 ).

The second institution, the neighboring Asheville Normal School and Collegiate Institute was established in 1892 in order to train Appalachian women to teach. Students that could afford more expensive schools were encouraged to go elsewhere so that deserving local women could attend for $140 per year. It was also established by the national Presbyterian church. It grew from a two-year into a four-year college in 1926.

Above Image: In the 1920s, enrollment in the Normal School and Collegiate Institute swelled to nearly 400 women. ("Approximately 400 members of the student body of the Asheville Normal and Collegiate Institute on the lawn in front of the Elizabeth Boyd Memorial Chapel," c1920s, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Aspiring teachers here practiced their craft on younger students in the Home Industrial School. During its early years, these teaching cadets took classes in history, psychology, English and literature, Latin, mathematics, music, drawing, stenography, typewriting, sewing, bookkeeping, cooking, and eventually cabinet making. in 1936, its name was changed to the Asheville Normal and Teachers College. After withering support from the Presbyterian church, the school closed finally in 1944. All buildings were demolished in the ensuing decades as Mission Memorial Hospital expanded.

Right Image: The Asheville Women's Normal Collegiate Institute and the accompanying Presbyterian church as seen in a 1904 image. The campus was located on the edge of Victoria at the corner of modern Biltmore Avenue and Victoria Road. ("Normal Collegiate Institute." in Asheville The Mountain City in the Land of the Sky, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).


Change and the End of Victoria

1905 Asheville Population: 15-20,000

By the last year of Victoria's independence, before it was incorporated by Asheville, the town had changed greatly from its 1887 feel. Asheville and its surrounding communities had nearly tripled in population since Victoria was founded. Hemmed in by its growing neighbors, Victoria was also becoming more industrialized. Rather than mostly wealthy families and their servants, Victoria's inhabitants had become more white if not blue-collar as the town became more residential. The 1904 city directory of residents showed an abundance of service industry workers for the various hotels and schools, but also dressmakers, firemen, nurses, carriage cleaners, plumbers, ice deliverers, and a church reverend. Victoria also hosted growing numbers of renters and boarders in this burgeoning period.

Above Image: Despite Victoria's growth and heavily reliance on a large number of servants and laborers, it remained a segregated and nearly exclusively white town. (Asheville Citizen-Times, November 22, 1894).

A circular pamphlet published sometime after 1917 lists several causes for Victoria's demise including a decline or shift in property values. Such a decrease may have occurred in part because of the growing number of sooty and noisy trains circling Victoria along the French Broad River. A few years after the town's annexation, the Southern Railway constructed a roundhouse along their rail line, much to the chagrin of Mrs. Connally who unsuccessfully sued them for disrupting her view at Fernihurst. Many of Victoria's striking homes and buildings stood for the next few decades, but with the development of AB Tech as well as Mission Memorial Hospital, many traces of historic Victoria have been repurposed or buried, but not forgotten.

Right Image: This aerial photograph shows part of the former Victoria (including the large former hotel, sanatorium, and Catholic school) with downtown Asheville in the background to the northeast. (Samuel A. Bingham Jr., photographer, "St Genevieve School," 1949, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Curated by: Trevor Freeman, Public Programs Director, Western North Carolina Historical Association

Above Image: A view from the top of Vernon Hill facing west with the French Broad River below c.1890. (Taylor&Jones, photographers, "River View From Conley's," c1890, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: Fernihurst in its original state prior to numerous room additions, c.1875. (Taylor&Jones Photographers, "Col. Conley's Residence," c1875, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: Fernihurst c.1934 after its renovation and re-sizing but before its renaming. ("Fernihurst (Col. Connally's Home) on Victoria Rd," c1934, Photographic Negative, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: The Biltmore Estate. ("Biltmore House and Lake," Asheville Postcard Co., c1915, Postcard, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: Undated napkin rings made of rhododendron and sold by locals. These were purchased by a woman from Nebraska. Note the bottom left ring is inscribed "The House Vanderbilt cannot buy." (c1890-1905, Napkin Holders, Smith-McDowell House Archives)

Above Image: This undated map shows the five Vanderbilt cottages, with Fernihurst just outside the map's top boundary. ("Biltmore Estate: Map Showing Houses on Vernon Hill." n.d., Map, Richard Hansley Photographic Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: Hillcote, one of the Vanderbilt cottages, sat on the downhill side of a sharp bend in the road on what is now an AB Tech parking lot. The house above and to the left is most likely "Washington Cottage." (n.d., Photograph, Richard Hansley Photographic Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: The turnpike and its livestock-droving history still apparently concerned Victoria residents in 1887. They gave themselves the power in their charter "to prohibit the running at large of horses, cattle, hogs, sheep" and a host of other animals. (North Carolina General Assembly, Laws and Resolutions of the State of North Carolina, Passed by the General Assembly at its Session [1887], Josephus Daniels: Raleigh, NC, 1887).

Above Image: A 1917 map shows the former route of the old Turnpike (in red) that no longer exists but was still a road at that time. (" Asheville ,  N.C. ,  Nov .  191 7," Sanborn Map Company, November, 1917, Map, North Carolina Maps Digital Collection, UNC Chapel Hill,  https://docsouth.unc.edu/cdlamaps/browse/map/NC:BUNCOMBE:ASHEVILLE::SANBORN:1917 ).

Above Image: The western North Carolina mountains had long served as a retreat for wealthy lowlanders suffering from coastal heat and respiratory ailments. Patients wealthy enough to afford care at the Oakland heights Sanatorium could expect receive a pampered and catered stay. (Asheville Citizen-Times, February 18, 1891).

Above Image: During the busy spring and summer of 1891, arrivals from numerous East Coast and Midwest cities flocked to the Oakland Heights Sanatorium. (Asheville Citizen-Times, March 6, 1891)

Above Image: Perhaps eager to shed its medical reputation, the hotel's recurring advertisements in 1899 clarified that no sick guests would be received. (Asheville Citizen-Times, September 11, 1899).

Above Image: The Citizen-Times optimistically declared the inn open for good just a few months before a fire damaged a portion and the Ladies of Christian Education completed their purchase. (Asheville Citizen-Times, June 5, 1910).

Above Image: This 1907 map shows the layout of the Home Industrial and Normal schools. (Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from Asheville, Buncombe County, North Carolina, Sanborn Map Company, June, 1907, Map,  https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3904am.g3904am_g063721907/?sp=17 ).

Above Image: In the 1920s, enrollment in the Normal School and Collegiate Institute swelled to nearly 400 women. ("Approximately 400 members of the student body of the Asheville Normal and Collegiate Institute on the lawn in front of the Elizabeth Boyd Memorial Chapel," c1920s, Photograph, NC Collection, Pack Memorial Library).

Above Image: Despite Victoria's growth and heavily reliance on a large number of servants and laborers, it remained a segregated and nearly exclusively white town. (Asheville Citizen-Times, November 22, 1894).