William Robert Allen
Local Architect - 1848-1928
Disclaimer: The list of buildings designed by William Allen is a work in progress and is constantly being updated.
Scroll to see examples of his work in Layton, Kaysville, Davis County, Weber County, and other states. The buildings are mapped so you can follow along in your car to see them as they are today!
If you are aware of any more William Allen properties or have any additional information on the ones listed below, please contact the Museum at abommer@laytoncity.org or 801-336-3930.
Photos are from the Heritage Museum of Layton Collection unless otherwise noted.
William Allen Biography
William Robert Allen was born in London, England on January 1, 1850. His family moved to Omaha, Nebraska when he was twelve and left for Kaysville, Utah by ox cart a year later. At the age of sixteen, he began to follow in his father's footsteps and learn the trade of masonry. By 1870, he was listed as a mason on the town census. During the 1880s, Allen took up architectural drafting in addition to his work as a mason and contractor. He received formal education in 1895 from the International Correspondence School in the architecture curriculum. He completed nineteen of twenty-five courses but did not receive a diploma. In the 1890s, he was listed as both an architect and contractor in several commercial directories. The 1900 census listed him as an architect. Allen's advertisements indicate that he was the only architect in the county, therefore many communities from Bountiful to Syracuse relied on his skills for projects ranging from bungalows to mansions and commercial buildings to religious centers. Allen even built his own home, which he resided in until his death in 1928.
William Allen was known for his quick temper, irritability, and pronounced nasal twang. There are reports of him throwing things at clients who questioned his work. At age thirty, he was affected by deafness and was unemployed for half the year, but recovered and continued his architectural career.
In addition to architecture, William Allen was an avid musician. He began playing the cornet in the Kaysville Brass Band at the age of sixteen. He later went on to teach himself violin and could often be found in his studio playing music. Allen also wrote his own musical compositions.
William Allen's architectural legacy is evident throughout Layton and Kaysville, as well as other parts of Davis County. Many of his buildings are still standing, an attest to his competence and craftsmanship.
Layton
01 / 22
1
Francis Bone Home
3049 W. Gentile, Layton
This home was built around 1900. Francis Bone was a farmer and musician. He became acquainted with William Allen through music and hired him to execute a seven-room expansion on his home that was built in 1885. Rock was brought in from Bountiful and the local mountain quarry. The red bricks are contrasted with stark white pillars and green trim. A large palladium window sits above the eves. The wood was given a grained look using a stain applied with feathers and combs. A fireplace and hearth were purchased from Sears and Roebuck.
Fun fact: William Allen taught Francis Bone how to play the violin as a child.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
2
George W. Layton Home
2767 W. Gentile Street, Layton
This home was commissioned to be built in 1895 by George W. Layton. The block layout in this home was also used in the John Henry Layton home and the Joseph Adams home, however, this is the most ornate of the three. The home was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1982. The Bravo Family lived in the home from 1969 to 1989, repairing the rundown sections. It was purchased and fully restored to its original Victorian splendor. Wallpaper was stripped, revealing the original walls of the home paint was stripped from the wooden window casings and hand-painted in with wood-grain, and the floor in the entryway was refinished. The home is now used as an event venue called the "Grand Victorian."
Photo courtesy of the Grand Victorian
3
George E. Dibble Home
2463 W. Gentile, Layton
This red brick home was built on a cement foundation in 1909. It had three rooms within its two stories, with no water, kitchen, or heat. The house had a hall, a front parlor, a living room, and a bedroom; the upstairs rooms were unfinished. Running water was brought into the home and a kitchen was added in 1917. The bedrooms upstairs were finished next. The home has stayed in the Dibble family.
Photo from the Lakeside Review January 15, 1991
4
Charles A. Layton Home
1882 W. Gentile Street, Layton
The Charles A. Layton home was designed by William Allen and built by Andrew Egbert in 1882. The home was on 39 acres of land that were purchased at the cost of $1,000. The home originally consisted of three large rooms: a kitchen, a parlor, and a bedroom. The walls on the front of the house are made of adobe bricks that were crafted on the site. In 1900, a kitchen and two upstairs bedrooms were added. A final addition in 1916 included a bathroom, indoor plumbing, and a porch behind the kitchen. The home was restored in the early 1990s.
5
West Layton LDS Meetinghouse
1878 W. Gentile Street, Layton
This meetinghouse was built on an acre of donated property from Charles A. Layton in 1897; it was dedicated in 1901. The building was financed exclusively through Church members and was known as the "Tithing Ward." It stood at 56 feet by 120 feet on a foundation of rock and plaster. It had a cathedral-like ceiling. The walls were four bricks thick: three were sunbaked adobe and the fourth was commercially kiln-fired adobe. The chapel had nine classrooms, all divided by green curtains. The meetinghouse was used until 1971 when it was torn down. A plaque now stands in its place.
6
Joseph Hyrum and Alice Ann Marston Hill Carlos Home
532 S. Angel Street, Layton
In 1909 Joseph Carlos began to build a new brick home on his existing property in front of his family's old log home. Materials were hauled to the site with team and wagon. The bricks came from the Robert Ward kiln in Kaysville, rocks for the foundation were gathered in the mountains, and the lime was from a kiln in Salt Lake City. The homne was designed by William Allen and the construction was led by Egbert.
Photo courtesy of Debbie Amundsen
7
Pearl Layton Flint Home
883 W. Gentile, Layton
In 1919, George W. Layton asked William Allen to make the plans for an "up-to-date" bungalow on his property for his daughter Pearl. The home was finished in 1920.
Photo courtesy of Cameron Brenchley
8
John Henry Layton Home
683 W. Gentile, Layton
This home was commissioned in 1895 and placed on the National Historic Register in 1982. It matches the block pattern of the Joseph Adams home and the George W. Layton home. The home took a few years to complete, and the family finally moved in in 1897. They occupied the home until 1973. All the woodwork is simply decorated, with bull's-eye motifs. The window and door casings are built out of pine and painted to imitate hardwood. The fireplace was imported from England and the tile around it was imported from Ireland.
Photo used by permission, Utah State Historical Society
9
George W. Layton/Dell Adams Home
600 W. Gentile, Layton
George W. Layton built this home in 1908. They lived there until 1914 when it was sold to Lettie Adams. In 1916, she sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Delbert Hyrum Adams. The home is still in mostly the same design with a few minor changes including an enlarged kitchen and the removal of the front porch. While Adams lived in the property, the front room served as a museum for his collected relics, many of which are now on display at the Heritage Museum.
10
Layton Elementary School
369 W. Gentile, Layton
This school was originally built in 1902 to replace one-room school houses that were scattered throughout the city. Children would get to the school by walking, riding on horses, or wagons. Lunches consisted of tomato sandwiches or jam and molasses. This building was torn down in 1984 and the current school was built.
11
William Alexander Dawson Home
235 W. Gentile, Layton
William A. Dawson began building this home in 1893; it was completed in 1895. William Allen designed the plans and Mr. Owens from Layton oversaw the construction.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
12
Farmer's Union Building
12 N. Main, Layton
The General Mercantile Store and Kaysville Farmer’s Union was originally a small frame building and it moved from Kaysville in 1882 to this spot. The name “Kaysville” was removed from the building and E.P. Ellison, store attendant, and Christopher Layton, the building’s owner, refused to pay taxes to Kaysville. They named their small new town Layton and pushed for incorporation. Ellison and Layton combined their capital and in 1890 and constructed an impressive two story, Victorian-style store of brick and stone with metal trim to house the Farmer’s Union institution. The building was also used as the headquarters of the group responsible for the push to organize a new town, separate from Kaysville. The building continued to play a significant role in the community of Layton, being used as a public hall and community center. Regular weekly dance with live orchestra, church events, basketball games, and political meetings were all held in the building. The Farmer’s Union dissolved in 1956, and Cannery Sales Grocery remodeled the front door to the building's southeast corner, and was followed by Family Furniture Store. Eventually, First National Bank outgrew offices in their building on the north side of Gentile St. and purchased the old Farmer’s Union building. With extensive remodeling, they moved marble teller windows and the heavy vault door across the street into the new office and opened for business in June 1981. In 2019 the name was changed to First Community Bank.
13
First National Bank
50 W. Gentile, Layton
The First National Bank was organized as Davis County's third bank in 1905. It was headed by Ephraim P. Ellison, James Pingree, and Rufus Adams. On November 16, 1906, an east wind severely damaged the building and the business had to move across the street to the Farmer's Union until repairs were made. In 1915, a was constructed to house the office of the Layton Sugar company. The Bank moved back to the Farmer's Union Building in 1981, leaving this building vacant.
14
Adams and Sons General Store
9 S. Main, Layton
Elias Adams ordered the construction of this building in 1909. Over the years, it housed many other businesses including Electrician W.D. Cummings, Henry Smedley Barber Shop, J.B. Riplinger Tailor Shop, John F. Smith Café, M.C. Phillips Bakery, Jack Sandall Barbershop, Clyde Adams Haberdashery, and Gretta Adams Beauty Parlor. It was torn down in 1936 to make way for a new service station.
15
Rufus Adams Home
170 N. Main, Layton
This home was built between 1888-1890, commissioned by prominent business man Rufus Adams and his wife Sarah. The once-striking red brick has been since painted white. It now is a wedding reception hall called Chantilly Manor.
16
Jesse Layton Harris Home
165 W. Antelope Drive, Layton
This home was originally located where Starbucks is now on the west side of Hill Field Road just north of Antelope Drive. It was moved by Howard Adams in 1987 to this new location when the Harris Farm property it sat on was purchased for development. The home originally had two floors, the main floor and a second story. However, when the home was relocated, a basement was added.
17
Rufus William Adams Home
144 E. Antelope, Layton
Photo from Google Earth
18
Joseph Samuel Adams Home
400 N. Adamswood Road, Layton
This home was constructed in 1889-1890. It shares the same basic block pattern as the George W. Layton Home and the John Henry Layton Home. It was designed by William Allen but built by Frank Sheffield with bricks made by Joseph at the mouth of Adams Canyon. The back two rooms were built by Joseph. In the 1990s, most of the furniture in the home was still original. The house remained in the family and was listed on the National Historic Register as one of the best examples of a turn-of-the-century farmhouse in Davis County in 1978. Today, the home is almost impossible to see through its thick grove of trees.
19
Edward Morris Whitesides Home
616 Elm Street, Layton
William Allen designed the additions for this home. Edward built his first home on this property before he was married. More rooms were added as his children were born. The original red brick has since been covered up and painted.
20
Joseph Henry Morgan Home
528 E. Elm St, Layton
This home began as a two-bedroom log cabin in 1887. As the Morgan family grew, the house also grew to include eight rooms for their twelve children.
Photo courtesy of Randy Stevens
21
Lettie May Adams Home
603 S. Main, Layton
After Elias Adams Jr. passed away, his widow Lettie commissioned this house to be built; it was completed in 1912. After her death in 1957, the house became a rental but remained owned by the family. Today, it is 1Nation Auto and the original brick has been painted.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
22
Ephraim P. Ellison Home
770 Rosewood Lane, Layton
This home was designed and built in 1896 for Ephraim P. Ellison. The home was constructed around Ellison's original 1873 cabin, which eventually was torn down. The style is Southern colonial, which is a change from William Allen's usual Queen Anne Victorian. The original brick has since been painted white. The granddaughter of Ellison remembers this being one of the first homes in the area to have Christmas lights; colored globe lights were strung through the pine trees on the front of the lot, beginning in the 1920s.
Kaysville
01 / 39
1
Alex Smith Home
194 W. Mutton Hollow Road, Kaysville
This home was built at the turn of the century using red brick with a rock foundation. The house is recognizable by its large turret on the west side, complete with an original metal point. In 1999, the home housed a business called "TNT Gift Baskets Inc." During the early 2000s, the house was painted white and stripped of its original look. Luckily it has now since been restored, with light blue trim contrasting the red brick.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
2
Harvey William King Home
1071 N Kingswood Road, Kaysville
This home was designed by William Allen in 1912 and built by Reuben Clark McBride. Bricks from the King's first home were repurposed for the inner layers of the walls and light-colored bricks were used on the exterior. Harvey King and his wife Katherine resided in the home with their two children. The home's original address was 882 Manchester, but after King's death, the property was sold and became the King Clarion subdivision. At some point in time before 1941, the porch was enclosed. The interior contains dark woodwork, a fireplace with glass bookshelves on either side, and a large formal dining room with a built-in China buffet. The original wood floors were covered with carpet in 1955 and the seat in the bay window was removed.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
3
Thomas J. Smith Home
472 Main Street, Kaysville
This home was built in 1900. It is a red brick structure on a coursed rubble foundation. On the northeast corner, there is an original brick lean-to. The house has been remodeled twice: once in the 1940s where rooms were divided and painted and again in the 1970s-1980s. From the latter half of the 20th century until recently, it was a commercial property. It originally was outside of the town plat and sat on over thirty acres of farmland. The property has since been reduced to just under a half-acre. In 2020, it was used in the Hallmark movie Holly and Ivy. It was placed on the National Historic Register in 2006.
4
Kaysville City Hall
362 N. 300 W., Kaysville
William Allen designed the first Kaysville City Hall in 1889 and Ralph Ingham worked as the contractor. $5,000 dollars were borrowed by the city to construct the building. The location of the building was chosen after a petition was signed by 72 outlying residents protesting municipal debt falling onto their shoulders; having it so far north made it closer to the "Layton" residents of Kaysville. This move was Kaysville's answer to Ephraim P. Ellison's 1884 avoidance of paying taxes because he felt Kaysville lacked jurisdiction in the Layton area. The structure was used from February 27, 1890, until 1911 when offices were moved into the Kaysville Academy building. In 1906, an east wind came through and ripped the tower off the top of the structure. The City Hall was demolished in the early 1920s.
5
Suzannah Ellison Robins Home
65 E. Crestwood Road, Kaysville
This home, which once sat beside the Bamberger railroad line, was built in 1907 for widow Suzannah Ellison Robins. Taking lead from William Allen, Suzannah's sons helped build her home. Until the 1960s, the home was heated by only a coal stove in the kitchen. During this time, it was updated to have a central heating system, a fireplace, an extra room behind the kitchen, and a utility room for the furnace, hot water heater, and washing facilities.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
6
John Jr. and Maria Watkins Morton Home
46 E 200 N, Kaysville
Based on William Allen's "Cottage Design," this home was built in 1909 when the Mortons moved to Kaysville from Midway. They lived in a tent in their front yard while it was being built. Its original address was 46 East Cherry Street.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
7
Benjamin Barrett Home
11 S. 400 E., Kaysville
This home was designed in 1902 for Benjamin Barrett. It originally sat on the corner of 11th Street and Locust Street, which has been renamed Center Street and 400 E. He lived there until 1917. The red brick exterior was first painted white in the late 1940s. The closet at the top of the stairs was turned into a half-bath and kitchen cupboards were added around the same time. The parlor fireplace is surrounded by an oak mantle and green tiles with dogs on them. In the late 80s, the home was purchased and restored; many of the walls were rotten and replaced. The original woodwork that had been painted over was stripped and re-hand grained. 15 layers of wallpaper were taken off the walls in the living room. The exterior was painted gray with white trim.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
8
William Allen Home
8 N 300 E, Kaysville
William Allen designed and built this home for himself and his family. The land was purchased in 1870. Although the house has been added on to, the front remains nearly the same as when it was built. The small brick building behind the house was Allen's architecture studio where he drew plans for many of the buildings in the area. He was often seen sitting in his studio playing his violin.
9
James A. Cottrell Home
255 E. Center Street, Kaysville
In 1920, James Cottrell purchased the land next to A.M. Barnes' home on Locust Street (now Center Street). William Allen was commissioned to make the plans for the six-room house. James Cottrell and William Allen had a long-standing relationship due to Cottrell doing the plasterwork on many of Allen's buildings, most notably, the Kaysville Tabernacle.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
10
Presbyterian Church
94 E Center Street, Kaysville
This church, which was originally known as the Haines Memorial Church, was built in 1887 and dedicated in 1888. On October 20, 1891, a Presbyterian congregation of 11 was organized. The pastor's wife also used the space to teach school to some of the children of Kaysville. In 1909, the school closed. By 1917, the church no longer offered services and it was used for third-grade overflow classes from Kaysville Elementary. A bell was installed in the tower in 1917 and rang for the last time on New Year's day in 1933 when it was sold to pay the electric bill. The building was placed on the National Historic Register in 1973. The building currently houses the Holiness Tabernacle Church of God in Christ.
11
Kaysville Elementary School
50 N 100 E, Kaysville
The first Kaysville Elementary School was built around 1905. It was a three-story building with six rooms and a basement. The population grew and by 1916, third graders were sent to school in the nearby Presbyterian church. In 1918, William Allen built another school that contained eight classrooms within its two stories and an office on the upper floor. The basement had two classrooms, a lunchroom, and a restroom. The 1905 building was demolished in 1937, and the bricks were used to build a gymnasium. The 1918 building was torn down in 1984 to make room for the school you see today.
12
Sirl R. Davis Home
109 E 100 N, Kaysville
This home was built for Sirl R. Davis, Kaysville's fire chief in the 1920s.
13
James and Mary Jane Proudfoot Home
61 E 100 N, Kaysville
This home was owned by the Proudfoot family from Scotland. They were known throughout the community for their bagpipes, kilts, and dancing. In the large bay windows at the front of the house, Mary Jane housed objects such as figurines, weather forecasters, dishes, and colored glass. The arrangements were constantly changed to keep the interest of the passing community members. Eventually, Hod and Clover Sanders purchased this home and used the building next door for their first potato chip factory.
Original William Allen watercolor of the home
14
Mary Ann Phillips Lewis Home
34 E 100 N, Kaysville
Widow Mary Ann (Polly) Phillips Lewis and her son Horace, a carpenter, helped build this home. Bricks were hauled from Robert Ward's brickyard on Mountain road and stone was hauled for the windowsills. After passing ownership to the Haight family and then the Brough family, the house was eventually torn down. The stained glass windows and fireplace were saved and added to the Central Davis Senior Activity Center.
15
Stewart-Burton Store
104 N. Main Street, Kaysville
The store that originally opened on this site was a wooden structure built by Christopher Layton in 1875. The business was sold in 1979 to Charles and Hyrum Stewart and renamed "Stewart Brothers." Charles died and Hyrum's 14-year-old nephew Christopher Burton stepped in to help. The business then became the "Stewart-Burton Store." In the interim, William Allen designed the brick structure that replaced the wooden building. It remained open until 1930. The store carried everything from groceries to dry goods, hardware, shoes, paints, coal oil, linoleum, brooms, chicken feed, and chinaware. The building still stands as Sanders Office Systems, though the rounded façade has been squared-off and the brick is covered with stucco.
16
Lyon-Cahoon Drug Company
63 N. Main Street, Kaysville
H.J. and Frank Sheffield built a building between his store and the Kaysville Golden Rule store in 1918. The one-story brick building would house the Lyon-Cahoon Drug Company, which was also known as Davis Drug Co. William Allen prepared the architectural plans. The front of the building was made of plate glass, prism glass, and copper. Lyon-Cahoon/Davis Drug Company occupied the building from 1918-1924. Layton's Kowley Drug opened a Kaysville location in the building in 1925, and in 1932 it became Birkin Pharmacy. The building is still standing but has been extensively remodeled and houses a dance studio.
17
H.J. Sheffield Store
59 N. Main Street, Kaysville
The original Sheffield store was started between Center Street and First North Street in 1889. The business quickly outgrew this space and H.J. Sheffield commissioned William Allen to build a large, brick two-story building to house his mercantile in 1892. In addition to a store, the building also housed the first telephone office from 1903-1925, the post office from 1915-1960, and a drug store. The store stayed open until 1931 when business diminished. The upper story of the building was eventually removed. The building now houses a dance studio and barber shop.
18
Kaysville Co-Operative Mercantile Institution
7 N. Main Street, Kaysville
This store began when the private merchants of Kaysville, John R. Barnes, William Blood, Ebenezer A. Williams, and John Bennett, combined the stock of their stores to form one single institution. It was first at 1 N. Main street, but the building was torn down in 1910 and the yellow-brick Barnes Block replaced the original structure. KCMI was the original main tenant in the new building. The store stayed in business for seventeen years when it eventually closed its doors in 1927.
19
Barnes Block
1 N. Main Street, Kaysville
The Barnes Block was completed in 1910. It has served as the town post office on the west side for many years and as Barnes Bank on the south side until 1958, when it moved to 33 S. Main. Everything from apartments to a dental office took residence inside the Barnes Block through the years. In 1947, the building was painted and metal cornices were added to stop water from dripping onto the sidewalk. The building now houses many businesses including an Allstate insurance office.
20
Richard William Barnes Home
41 W. 100 S., Kaysville
A brick home was originally built at this location sometime between the 1870s and 1884 by either a George Gailey or a George Hudson. The property was purchased by Richard William Barnes, son of John R. Barnes, in 1884. He commissioned William Allen to add several rooms and a distinctive round turret. Will, as he was called, supposedly liked to play cards and smoke with his buddies. Mrs. Barnes was a seamstress and didn’t like the men smoking in the main house, so Will built the turret for that use. The inside walls were made out of beautiful cherry wood. The inside is graced with foot-high moldings along the floor's perimeter and a beautiful fireplace. In 1914, George Ellis owned the home. In 1917, the home was purchased by Hubert C. and Millie Criddle Burton. In 1958, his daughter, Alice Rampton, and her husband Jack moved into the home and remodeled it, including removing the turret. The original porch was rotted, so it was replaced. The once-distinctive red brick is now painted white.
21
Davis High School
325 S. Main Street, Kaysville
When it was announced that a high school should be built in Kaysville to accommodate a growing population, plans were immediately drawn up by William Allen and John Cheseboro. Contracts for its construction were awarded in July 1914. The school was finished quickly and the first graduating class in the new building was in 1915. An Art Nouveau LDS seminary building was added across the street from the school in 1919. William Allen prepared the plans and supervised the construction. The foundation and trimmings were made of concrete and the walls of buff pressed brick. The style was designed to match the original school buildings. In 2002, a bond was passed to construct a new building and the original school was torn down; the school was finished and opened in 2004.
22
George W. Barnes Home
55 S. 100 W., Kaysville
This home was built in 1907 for George W. Barnes and his family. Inside the entryway are a curved staircase and a fireplace, creating a desirable interior. The home was purchased in the late 1980s and restored to its original splendor. The trim on the exterior has been replaced and repaired, and its current colors reflect those of traditional Victorians. The dining room contains crown molding, hand-stenciled trim, and a built-in hutch.
23
Nathan and Effie Reeves Home
39 S. 100 W., Kaysville
This home was built for the Reeves family in 1892. Five children were raised in this two-bedroom, red brick home. The thick interior walls are made of three layers of brick. Each room has an exterior door that used to lead to a yard full of fruit trees. Other rooms in the home include a dining room, a living room, and a small kitchen. Today, the exterior of the home looks much the same as it did over a hundred years ago, with its stark-white trim and painted patterns above the door and windows. The front door is original.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
24
Earl Tall Home
68 S. 100 W., Kaysville
This home was once a traditional Victorian red-brick structure, complete with white trim. The property was originally owned by Levi and Emeline Taylor in 1871. Twenty years later it transferred hands to O.A. and Lea Taylor. In 1982, it was sold to Lillie Southworth. Samuel Layton moved in in 1898 and sold it to Emily Brough in 1908. It is unknown during which property transfer this home was constructed. During the 1930s, the home was remodeled by Earl Tall. The ceilings were lowered, hardwood floors were added, and a small basement was built on the rear of the home. Today, it has been torn down and there is a townhouse on the property.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
25
John R. Barnes Home
10 S. 100 W., Kaysville
The original home on this spot was a small adobe structure constructed around 1869. In 1876, a large, two-story brick house was built around the adobe structure, which became the kitchen and pantry of the new house. In the 180s, Victorian houses became the prominent style and William Allen was hired to add an entirely new home onto the existing building. It incorporates both Queen Anne and Classical styles and includes a half-octagon turret and a low-pitched roof. The home has been restored today and remains a showpiece with its red brick and white and black trim. The home was added to the National Historic Register in 1982.
26
John George Moroni Barnes Home
42 W. Center Street, Kaysville
This two-story brick home was most likely built in two sections, one in 1880 and one in 1896, based on the brickwork. It has four elaborate Victorian chimneys on the front section and three smaller ones on the rear section. The home is identifiable by its large protruding tower with a rounded top on the front. Some alterations that have been made include an addition of a brick porch on the front, a second sleeping porch in the rear, and a shed in the northeast corner. The home was added to the National Historic Register in 1980.
27
Kaysville Opera House
200 W. Center Street, Kaysville
The original Kaysville Opera House began construction in 1855 and finished in 1863 due to disruptions caused by the Utah War. It was used as both a social hall and an LDS meetinghouse. Another opera house was constructed in 1875 and the meetinghouse was used solely for church-related activities until 1910 when the new opera house burned to the ground. It was decided that the original meetinghouse should be converted into an opera house and William Allen was hired for the renovations. His plans included an extension on the west end with a large stage, high ceilings, and two dressing rooms. A second feature on the east end of the building was a two-story structure with a box office, rehearsal rooms, a scenic design room, a costume room, and a one hundred and fifty-seat balcony. The addition was designed to have a brick façade with a classical look. The project took off in April 1911 with J.P. Jacobsen Construction of Salt Lake City as the contractor. Today, there is a parking lot at the site of the old opera house. A Historical Marker in the parking lot outlines more history of the original Meetinghouse.
28
Kaysville Tabernacle
198 W. Center Street
In 1911, it was proposed that a new Tabernacle in Kaysville be built. William Allen was commissioned to design this building that combined modern with Greek revival styles. The brick for the building came from the Kaysville Brick Company and Bennett Paint and Glass of Salt Lake made the Roman-style stained glass windows. The building sits on a concrete block foundation on a split-level plan. Features include Doric columns beneath the triangular pediment on the exterior and a Star of David window motif. The interior plaster work was done by James A. Cottrell. The chapel has exposed wooden beams in a vaulted ceiling, carved wood window and door casing, and a hand-turned balustrade enclosing the two-level rostrum.
29
John and Frances Barton Home
65 N. 200 W., Kaysville
This home was built in 1899 for John and Frances Barton. It was constructed of adobe brick and covered with stucco. Decorative trim lines the exterior and ornamental spindles top the points. It originally had a large screened porch on the north end, which was removed. Three bedrooms were upstairs and heated with a coal stove. The main floor contained a parlor that could be closed off by a pocket door, a living room, a kitchen, and a bedroom. The ceilings are 12 feet high. The original owner was an undertaker and all of his equipment was kept upstairs.
30
Hyrum Stewart Home
111 N. 200 W., Kaysville
This home was built around 1900 by Hyrum Stewart. The home is easily recognizable by its large turret topped with a metal spire. The walls are all reinforced with steel rods between the 12-inch brick walls to save it from the east winds. The house was built before indoor toilets, but a water tank was placed upstairs. In addition, there are four bedrooms, an unfinished attic, a kitchen, a library, two parlors, a dining room, and a bathroom. A coal chute entered the rooms in the cellar where the furnace was installed. The ceilings are twelve feet high. Cherubs are carved in the imported French marble fireplaces in both parlors.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
31
Kaysville Academy
300 W. 100 N., Kaysville
The Kaysville Academy building was commissioned to be built by the LDS Church as an educational facility. It was then turned into city hall in 1911 and a jail was added to the rear of the building. In 1913, Davis High School occupied the building; this lasted until their new school was finished for the 1915 graduating class. The Academy continued to be used as the city hall until the 1930s when it was decided that the condition of the building and the need for residential housing in the area called for it to be torn down. A house now sits on the lot where the Academy once was.
32
James and Elizabeth Larkins Home
274 W. Center Street, Kaysville
This home was built in 1883 as a "showpiece" for the Larkins family. It was constructed of red brick and had a balcony with a railing around it above the porch. Double entrance doors finished in a dark stained wood lead to a winding Victorian staircase. A bay window lies to the right of the entry in the living room. The building was at one time turned into separate apartments, but was eventually restored as a single-family home. The exterior was painted white to save the deteriorating brick, but it has since been restored.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
33
Governor Henry H. Blood Home
95 S. 300 W., Kaysville
This home was built for former Utah Governor Henry H. Blood in 1895. The roof has hip roof dormers and an octagonal that sits on the northwest corner, creating alcoves on the main floor, the parlor, and the upper-floor master bedroom. Stained glass lines the parlor windows. In 1915, William Allen designed an addition for the back of the home, seamlessly matching the brick and gingerbread trim of his original work. The home was purchased and restored in the 1970s, bringing in turn-of-the-century furnishings to match the original Queen Anne style.
Photo used by permission, Utah State Historical Society
34
Kaysville Milling Company
61 S. 600 W., Kaysville
The Kaysville Milling Company was established in 1905 under the direction of Henry H. Blood. It originally consisted of a five-story building with a few grain elevators. The building was destroyed by a fire in 190 due to a small volunteer fire department. The structure was rebuilt by Whiting Construction Company and continued business. It was purchased by the LDS Church in the 1940s and still is a working plant today. It sits just west of I-15 and is a recognizable landmark for the area.
35
Kaysville Canning Company
Approximately Old Mill Road and Center Street, Kaysville
The Kaysville Canning Company was built in 1902 and managed by John G. M. Barnes. The building had a triangular pitched roof and the name of the corporation was painted largely across the front. The company was an important part of Kaysville's economy for over fifty years. They processed beans, tomatoes, peas, and other vegetables. The building was eventually torn down.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
36
John and Fanny Webster Home
123 N. Flint Street, Kaysville
The first section of this home was built around 1880 by William J. Barnes. John Webster moved into the home in 1912 and William Allen was hired to build the additions to accommodate the family. The bricks for the home came from the Kaysville Brickyard. The home stayed in the family until it was rented to Catherine and Gibbs Smith in 1977. They spent six months restoring it until they moved in in 1978. The open space in the middle of the home was turned into a laundry room with a large skylight and two fireplaces were added. A wall at the south end of the living room was replaced with French doors topped with stained glass windows from the Coalville Tabernacle.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
37
Samuel Flint Home
1632 W. 200 N., Kaysville
This home was originally built for the Samuel S. Flint family in 1886. Additions for the home were designed by William Allen around the turn of the century. A large renovation project took place in 2013.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
38
Heber Charles Gailey Home
2193 W. 200 N., Kaysville
This home was built for Heber Gailey's family around the turn of the century. It originally was a red brick building but has since been painted cream, green, and rust.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
39
John Flint Jr. Home
454 North Flint, Kaysville
This home was built out of adobe brick during the 1890s. It originally only contained two rooms, but later additions enlarged it to be a two-story brick home with three bedrooms upstairs, and a parlor, kitchen, and dining room on the main floor. The home was remodeled during the late 1930s, turning the parlor into the master bedroom, the dining room into the kitchen, and the old kitchen into an extra bedroom. All of the original porches were removed as well. In the 1980s, further renovations included adding tile to the fireplace and removing all the original wallpaper from the ceilings.
Photo courtesy of Kris Murdock
Davis County
01 / 11
1
South Bountiful LDS Meetinghouse
197 E. 500 S., Bountiful
The Bountiful Second Ward Meeting House was built from 1912 to 1914 and used as a church until the early 1980s. The building is made from brick, stucco, and plaster. It was expanded and remodeled in 1950 and the steeple was removed. It is now a wedding venue called La Capella at Canterbury and a Montessori Academy.
Photo courtesy of the Bountiful Museum
2
Bountiful Junior High School
30 W. 400 N., Bountiful
Originally Bountiful High, this school was built in 1914. Students who attended the school from 1914 to 1915 were transferred to the newly constructed Davis High School and this building became South Davis Junior High School. This was the first south county junior high school after Davis County consolidated the district. In fall of 1915, there were 176 students attending from Centerville, West Bountiful, Bountiful, and North Salt Lake. Students would ride from Centerville on the Bamberger Railroad and from Bountiful and North Salt Lake on the Orchard Drive Street Car. The original school was eventually torn down and replaced with a modern one.
Photo found at https://bountifuljr.davis.k12.ut.us/school-information/about-us
3
Centerville Elementary
350 N. 100 E., Centerville
Centerville Elementary was built in 1916 and served the town for 68 years. It was one of Davis County's oldest elementary schools before it was razed on February 23, 1984. The yellow-brick building was two stories and housed eight floors, a narrow hall, concrete stairways, and steam-heat radiators. In 1930, a flood took out one corner of the building which was repaired. Boulders were moved east around the building's perimeter to protect it from future floods. The school also survived an arson fire in 1955, which caused extensive damage. This led to the building being remodeled and enlarged.
Photo courtesy of the Whitaker Home Museum
4
Maggie Ford Cottage
Approximately 1520 N. Main, Centerville
This cottage was designed for one of Joseph Ford's wives. She originally lived in a home with Emma, the first wife, but Joseph finally built her a home of her own. She lived in this home for the remainder of her life. Her son Eugene and his wife Phyllis moved into the back part of the house. Sadly, the home was lost in a flood a year after Maggie's death.
Photo courtesy of the Whitaker Home Museum
5
Davis County Courthouse
28 E. State Street, Farmington
The first Davis County Courthouse was built in 1853. It was a two-story adobe building containing three jury rooms, three offices, a hall, a courtroom, and a jail. The building was demolished after new plans were made by William Allen in 1889. The building contract was awarded to E. B. Tyson and bricks were brought from Samuel Ward's brickyard on Mountain Road near Kaysville. The construction was taken over by C. W. Richardson and the building was completed on August 18, 1890.
Photo courtesy of Keith Vincent
6
Farmington Commercial and Manufacturing Store
7 E. State Street, Farmington
This red-brick building was built shortly after the Farmington Commercial and Manufacturing Company on March 30, 1891. The store sold merchandise such as lumber, cement, hardware, coal, machinery, wagons, dry goods, groceries, and cold storage. The store name changed to Farmington Mercantile in the 1930s, Milt's Market in the 1940s, and Farmington Market in the 1950s. It was then used as a pool hall and a pizza restaurant. Today it is Francisco's Mexican Grill and has undergone severe memorabilia.
Photo courtesy of the Farmington Museum
7
Syracuse Central School
Approximately 2000 W. 1700 S., Syracuse
In spring 1899, plans by William Allen were on the drawing board for a new one-room brick school. Two acres of land were purchased from Samuel Fawcett on the northeast side of the intersection. Rocks for the foundation were brought from the mountains and the bricks from Wards Brickyard in Kaysville. Barton Anderson was contracted for the work. Today the building has been torn down, but if you would like to learn more, visit the Syracuse Museum across the street!
Interior photo of the school courtesy of the Syracuse Regional Museum
8
William and Sarah Maria Linford Criddle Home
2441 W. 1700 S., Syracuse
William and Sarah Criddle paid cash for their 11-room, two-level home in 1911. The large cement irrigation reservoir on the property made the home a popular site for baptisms. The house had 8-foot ceilings in the four attic bedrooms, making the upper rooms very open compared to other homes of the era. Oak moldings and oak doors adorned the entrances of each room. All of the original lead-glass windows were repaired and used in the home throughout the late 1990s. The house has very recently been torn down to make room for the Antelope Drive Expansion.
Photo courtesy of the Syracuse Regional Museum
9
Leo L. Warren Home
2626 W. 700 S., Syracuse
Leo Warren's family originally lived in the James Warren home that was vacated after his father moved to Clearfield. in 1923, Leo decided to build his own home. The bungalow was designed to have a sink and indoor bathroom with running hot water. Soon after the move, Leo became deathly ill and was not expected to live. However, he pulled through and continued to farm the land near the home.
Original blueprints drawn by William Allen
10
Clearfield Canning Company
275 Depot Drive, Clearfield
Hyrum Stewart of Kaysville commissioned William Allen to design a building for Clearfield Canning Company in 1907 for the purpose of canning tomatoes. Allen's architectural mark in his canneries is the stepped roof. In 1912, the company was overtaken by the Woods Cross Canning Company and remained in operation until the 1970s. The building was razed in 1993.
Photo used by permission, Utah State Historical Society
11
James Warren Home
100 N. Main, Clearfield
In 1907, James Warren moved from Syracuse to Clearfield and commissioned William Allen to build his family a red brick home with four bedrooms. The home has since been torn down.
Weber County
01 / 04
1
Davis County Nursery Warehouse
2757 W. 6000 S., Roy
Arthur Jones was the manager of the Davis County Nursery, which had a capacity of one million trees per year. The building eventually became the Varney Canning Company and then the Stevens Canning Company. Today it is still standing and houses Evair Associates.
Photo from The Sun Chronicle, 7 May 1959
2
S.J. Burt and Bros. Store
2429-2433 Washington Boulevard, Ogden
S.J. Burt and Bros. moved into their new building that was designed by William Allen in 1896. The structure was divided into various departments and described as "large, airy, and excellently lighted." The business was sold in 1924 and operated under the name "The Emporium." By the mid-1970s, most of the businesses on this block had fallen into disrepair and were razed. It now is part of the Eccles Conference Center.
Photo used by permission, Utah State Historical Society
3
Wasatch Gardens and Orchard Canning Company
910 W. 24th Street, Ogden
In 1900, the Adams Nursery and Tin Can Manufacturers Company opened on the west end of 24th street. A small brick building was built to accommodate the business. In 1903, they reorganized as Wasatch Gardens and Orchard Canning Company. This was the first plant in Weber County to process fruits. In 1910, the factory was partially destroyed by fire. The plant was then purchased by Jake Parker for Del Monte in 1914, then to Utah Packing Company in 1918. The building now houses Dave R. Grant Hay, Inc.
4
Amalgamated Sugar Beet Loading Area
1963 S. 1900 W., Ogden
The plant for the Ogden Sugar Company was built in 1897. It consolidated with Logan Sugar in 1902 to form the Amalgamated Sugar Company. In 1915, William Allen was hired to design new sugar beet loading area on the property.
Photo used by permission, Utah State Historical Society.
Outside of Utah
01 / 07
1
Oakley Tabernacle
Approximately Blaine Avenue and 2000 S., Oakley, Idaho
Burned down in 1965
Photo found at http://thomastolmanfamily.org/oakley-tabernacle-historical-marker/
2
Pocatello Tabernacle
Northwest corner of Center Street and Garfield Avenue, Pocatello, Idaho
Razed
Photo courtesy of the City of Pocatello
3
William A. Hyde Home
429 N. 7th Avenue, Pocatello, Idaho
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Photo taken by Jennifer Eastman Attebery for the National Register application; negative on file at the Idaho State Historical Society.
4
Oxford Hotel
Approximately 1st North Street and 1st West Street, Downey, Idaho
Razed
Photo courtesy of Jay G. Burrup
5
Hyde Block Building
5 N. Main Street, Downey, Idaho
Photo courtesy of Jay G. Burrup
6
Downey Public School
Approximately 3rd East Street and 1st North Street, Downey, Idaho
Razed
Photo courtesy of Linda Milne
7
Pima Public School
Northeast corner of Main Street and 200 South, Pima, Arizona
Razed
Photo courtesy of the Eastern Arizona Museum and Historical Society
Additional Buildings
Although the representations above are extensive, there are most likely many more homes that were designed by William Allen.
Buildings mentioned in various sources that could not be tracked down include:
- Schoolhouse in Francis
- Schoolhouse in Woodland
- Schoolhouse in Kamas
- Remodel work of Joseph E. White's business in Kamas
- Remodel work of Albert T. Smith's home in Clearfield
- A bank building in Clearfield
- Fred Sheffield home in Kaysville
- Peter Barton home in Kaysville
- Lyon-Cahoon Drug Co. in Kaysville
- Remodel work for James E. Ellison home on Gentile in Layton
- A hotel for the Layton Sugar Company in Layton
- LDS meetinghouse in Syracuse
- Home on the John R. Barnes farm in Syracuse
- E.B. Clark home in Farmington
- LDS meetinghouse in Centerville
- William H. Streeper Jr. home in Centerville
- Murry Canning Company in Murray
- C.E. Layton's home in Downey, Idaho
- LDS meetinghouse in Marion, Idaho